25 October, 2013

Doll's Ripple blanket

I started this ripple blanket because I've always wanted to make one but didn't want a big (and expensive!) project, plus I thought I'd be able to use up a goodly amount of my left-overs from my granny square experiment. As it turns out I ended up buying another ball of pink and one of the light green, so I'm not sure I entirely succeeded on the 'using up' bit! I thought I had heaps but crochet uses up wool like it's going out of style. The pattern came from Cute & Easy Crochet, which my friend Jess gave me when I was in Canada, but it's a pretty standard pattern with three increase stitches and three decrease stitches to get the zigs and zags.

Ripple blanket

I really enjoyed doing this, it's fun switching colours so often and using such bright ones was cheering. I think a larger blanket would be somewhat garish, but it's fun in this size. Originally I was going to make the cushion as per the instructions but it was going to be really small so part way through I thought I'd make it a doll's blanket. But then I changed my mind because Hazel is, in her own words "not much of a doll girl" and it wouldn't get used, so I finished it off square. About a week later we got an invitiation to our young friend Samantha's third birthday party and the doll's blanket idea immediately sprang to mind because she IS a doll kind of girl, big time. She loves toting them about and putting them to bed, the whole nine yards. So out came the ripples again! You can tell I had to abandon my repeat of six colours but I think it's fine. If I did something like this again though, I'd start off random so that using up one colour wouldn't matter so much.

Ripple blanket

Here is the finished bed. Since she's a girl on the go I thought perhaps a portable arrangement would be good, and I found this laundry basket thing at the Warehouse. Nice and bright, lots of handles, and it fitted the blanket fairly well. I made a simple box mattress, two flat sheets (crisp white of course), and a comfy pillow. I would totally sleep in here myself if I fitted!


Doll's bed with ripple blanket

 I can't wait to give it to her on Sunday!

7 comments:

  1. Lucky Samantha and Samantha's dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - it looks amazing! Oh to be a doll and sleep in such a lovely bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! She's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And extra points for keeping to a small project... I have such a hard time with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! great gift for a little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bek @ Just For DaisyOctober 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

    LOVE! I thrifted a large ripple crochet blanket a year or so ago and it is my favourite!!! It's the reason I want to learn to crochet! A doll's blanket is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most adorable gift for Samantha. Lovely work. Jesse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails