08 May, 2012

Group challenges

Well hello there! I didn't mean to take a break but somehow I did. I blame it on a slightly dismal end to KCWC (more on that later) and getting stuck in to painting the kitchen. But along with that I was slowly working away on a couple of challenges we set ourselves at our last modern quilt group meeting at The Little Craft Store (highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been, 7-9pm first Monday of the month at the shop in Pt. Chev). The first one was to make a 'mug rug' in solids (what's wrong with saying coaster, does it have to have a ridiculous name just to make it sound less nana or something?), up to an A4 size. The second, which I'll blog when I've finished the binding, was to do a block you didn't particularly like in colours you don't particularly like. What do you think mine was?

I've been wanting to try half-square triangles for awhile now, so I thought I'd give those a go, but of course this being my first time I had to do them quite small. Not that they're really difficult or anything but I like to make things hard on myself and burn my fingers with the iron while pressing them. I wanted to do a gradation from one colour to another and I had this idea in my head. I didn't have quite the right solids but they weren't too bad. The yellow is a bit out of place, but I didn't have an inbetween orange and yellow colour. They grade from a medium red (they all look much darker in this photo) to a peachy pink, to salmon, to orange and then to lightish yellow.


Untitled

After I laid them all out I wasn't that thrilled with the sheer regularity of it all, it was too...clinical or sterile or something. I tried rotating a few squares around and in a way I liked it better but in the end I just left the one to break things up a bit. This is what my plan looks like next to the result

Untitled

I made a mistake colouring in in one strip, which still shows as faint pink. After awhile I began to wish that I'd done something like that instead of just using white, maybe having a very pale set of colours grading from one to another instead of the white. But I didn't have fabrics like that, and I wasn't actually going to do it all over again! Verdict: Ok, but I think I like things that are slightly less bitsy and repetitive. I do like solids though.

I had a few squares left over so I made a coaster.


Untitled

That's right - I called it a coaster. Am I kicked out of crafty blogging now?

9 comments:

  1. yup, you're totally kicked out now! :) nice colours; I like the gradation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful little coaster. Maybe nice with for a glass of bubbly? 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit of a fan of HST and colour gradients, and I loooove your mini quilt! Yes that's right - mini quilt, not coaster or "mug rug" because as if I would put a coffee mug on something as awesome as that, and risk getting coffee stains on it! Mini quilts are for the wall so you can admire them every time you walk past :)

    Plus I love the idea of making your extra HST into coasters - I have some left from my zig zag quilt so I might have to steal this idea!

    Holly xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your one rotated triangle was a stroke of genius!  It catches the eye and gives the whole project a real lift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goody, I've always fancied myself a rebel! Hazelnuts, sticking it to the man...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... yes, yes I think that might work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! A mini-quilt! Yes! I hadn't thought of that but I like it. I like it so much I've changed all the Flickr descriptions :) I was going to put it up on the wall anyways, but now I can just airily refer to it as the mini-quilt when my husband says "but what is it for exactly?"
    I really like the coaster too, the way the colours come together in the diamond satisfies me more than the more spaced out version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! Yes, I quite like the way it breaks things up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I thought you made that "mistake" on purpose :) Looks good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails