13 October, 2011

Cathedral Window pillow

I finally finished the Cathedral Window pillow! I'm really pleased with how it turned out too. The points aren't perfect and I had to do quite a bit of tacking them down in the middles so it would lie flat, but yeah, not bad for a beginner! It's bold and bright (though the grey in this first picture has gone a bit blue, the second one is more accurate) and is one heck of a solid pillow! Tina will have to make sure there are no pillow fights with it or there might be a trip to A&E.

Cathedral window pillow

Next time I do one I'll sew the edges down by going in continuous circles and passing through the centres, which will make sure things are all sitting nice and flat and the weak points at those points will be reinforced without the need for that extra stitching. This one I did by sewing the four sides of each colour, and I didn't think it gave the nicest results.


Cathedral window pillow

I used this great tutorial over at A La Mode. The second part to it is here.

13 comments:

  1. I love this. You've made such a good job of it. My grandmother made these too but your choice of fabrics gives a much more graphic modern twist to the design. Thanks for the link to the tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqui,  this is brilliant.  I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Jacqui just WOW this is fabulous 

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome, Jacqui.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks stunning.  Really great fabric choices.  I'm in awe of your sewing skills, the design looks so complex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacey @ Polka Dot DazeOctober 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

    Wow - it's gorgeous. I love your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a new love for cathedral windows now, they grey with the patterned fabric has given it a real modern twist... pinned this one, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Jacqui! I'm always so impressed with the cathedral window technique, but I don't know that I'd ever do it. I need to convince on of my friends to make one for me! Do you ship international?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best thing about this block is that it's way easier than it looks, so you get a lot of bang for your buck (or gazillion hours ironing the fabric into the right shape. It's kind of like making origami fortune tellers)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! As usual I started second-guessing myself when it was half done so it's nice to know I wasn't totally off the mark!
    --- Sent from my iPhone ---

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for pinning it! I love the grey too, the pillow looks really snappy on our grey couch, I'm definitely going to make another to replace this one!
    --- Sent from my iPhone ---

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, this with your sewing skills? Easy peasey lemon squeezy. Honest. It's not at all hard, it's just time consuming with lots of simple steps. But you look like some sort of insanely competent seamstress when it's done ;)
    I do ship internationally, though I suspect my enthusiasm for this will only last for one more pillow which will be mine, all mine!
    --- Sent from my iPhone ---

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am just sewing a very similar pattern but I have not quite finished all squares I need for the pillow case. If you are interested you might want to look up www.unikationale.de and click on the link for the blog in a few days.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails