12 November, 2009

Two birds with one stone

Though I can assure you that there is no way I could hit one bird with a stone, let alone two, because I throw like a girl.

Fabrics, a flash test and hopefully some recommendations from readers

I bought some fabrics yesterday at my favourite fabric store Global Fabrics as they were having a sale on knits. I know, any excuse to get in there! They have so many beautiful things at the moment, just gorgeous. I was in a trance the whole time, wandering around thinking "oh I could make something with this! And this! And ohhhhh, that's amazing! And oh! look at this, I could make something from this" with visions of fabulous garments floating in front of my inner eye. I ended up with the ones in the pictures below. The right-hand fabric is a cotton voile which will be a floaty summer top. The other three are knits destined to be tops and the orange one will be a dress. I'm going to make Hazel a dress from the kitty fabric and she faithfully (and rather desperately) promised me that she'd wear the dress if I made one. There should be enough for a dress for her and a tshirt for me.

Now the second part of this post is a small test of the flash diffuser idea from the previous post. I discovered that although my SLR is a Canon, the integrated flash isn't quite like the one in the tutorial and doesn't have the long metal arms. I managed to get the paper attached anyways. Robyn, I think that you could do this with a point-and-shoot too, I had a quick try with mine and just taped a bit of paper below the flash. I think you'd need to do a lot of fiddling with the position of the paper but once you'd sorted that it should work the same. Anyways, here are the results:

No flash, light coming in from the window to the left. Not bad, but a few shadows here and there.
No flash

Full flash. Again, not bad but you can see it's burnt out the shadows at the bottom of the orange fabric.
Full flash

Bounced flash. Pretty good - more even lighting than no flash, but it hasn't burnt out anything. I had to fiddle with the angle of the paper a bit, the first time I had it angled up too high and there was a dark patch in the middle of the photo.
bounced flash

Third part - I need recommendations for a pattern to make a dress for Hazel from the dot/cat knit fabric. Just something really simple with a one-piece A-line body and short sleeves. I have in mind something maybe with a gathered neck and gathered puff sleeves. Nothing too frou-frou because that fabric is all about simplicity I think! Does anyone know a good tutorial or purchased pattern they can recommend?

2 comments:

  1. not at the moment, but i will definitely look for you. Great fabrics. Maybe a tunic style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.oliverands.com/downloads/Oliver+SPopoverSundress.pdf

    This dress is A-line and simple, but doesn't meet the criteria of gathered neck and sleeves. I have not made this pattern, but I make a similar dress that is a bit wider and then the neckline is gathered. On my version, the bias binding is only apllied under the arms. Then I fold over a casing along the front and back neckline and pass a strap through the front and back casing, tying on the shoulders.

    If you have access to Burda WOF back issues, this dress is one of my favourites http://sewblooms.blogspot.com/2008/07/letting-go-of-creative-control.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails